Where I blog about fiber arts, literature, and life...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Strawberry everything

I found the most amazing and easy Strawberry mousse recipe online yesterday!:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/strawberries/r/bl50221h.htm

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum...

The only thing I did differently was put everything in the blender instead of mashing the strawberries. It gave the mousse a super smooth consistency. That's how I think mousse should be. It has been in the freezer for almost 24 hours. The only thing I'm worried about is that ice crystals might form in it. It would still be yummy, but the texture would be off.

If you make it in the blender remember not to make more than one batch at a time. Unless you have a HUGE blender.

My mom and I made jam yesterday and had six full pints of strawberries left. She asked me to make some freezable desserts with them since we'll be having company pretty soon, and the strawberries were already very ripe.

I made strawberry pie, but that didn't use up very many [It didn't last very long either, mmmmm...]. This particular recipe had egg whites in it. You know, you simmer the stuff on the stove and then the egg whites go in. Apparently I didn't get the egg whites beaten well enough because a few stringy chunks of egg started to cook in the strawberry mixture [I scooped them out and no one noticed]. I've done worse than that. One time I was making something along those same lines and mindlessly put the yoke in the saucepan too. When the breakfasty scent of scrambled eggs filled the air I knew I had really messed something up. I also used to read forward, backward, up, and down all at the same time. Great for scanning literature, quickly gathering information. Not so great for cooking. 

Don't worry. I've come a long way. That hasn't happened in quite a while.

 I haven't had much to blog about lately. Not much is going on. I know some people can pull out deeper meaning, hidden truths, and all kinds of things out of small everyday events. That's really cool. But it's not me. At least, not right now. Anything metaphoric or philosophical is temporarily blocked from my brain, thanks in part to the new low tolerance for utter nonsense I have developed over the last year. It is or it isn't. It was or it wasn't. "Let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no' [can't remember where exactly in the bible that is from. Gospels, I think. New Testament, for sure. I'll look it up] Take it or leave it.

But I digress...

Anyway...

Strawberries. :-)

Yes, strawberries. I managed to use up almost all of them. Now I am onto a new task for today:
Christmas gifts!

10 down, 22+ to go. Most of those involve baking, so they can't be done until a few days before Christmas. Well, I guess I could bake them now, but, you know... The rest are larger projects which will require more time, thought, and effort. I have only 178 days to do it all. That would be tons of time if it weren't for school and all that. Here we go...!

The problem I always run into is finding a place in my room to store all this stuff. Last year it was my closet. As soon as the Christmas tree went up I got it all out of my room asap. This year I have dedicated an entire plastic tub to the cause. And it even fits under my bed. 

I just put up a Christmas widget on my dashboard. The count down has begun...

Wow, that was really disjointed. Oh, well.

2 comments:

  1. The strawberry pie was amazing! I can't wait to try the mousse! I am so very thankful that your days of reading recipes from end to beginning are over. After all, it isn't necessary to puncture something and let it sit.

    BTW, Matthew 5:37 (you know I can't pass up a Bible challenge).

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete