Where I blog about fiber arts, literature, and life...

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Deutsch sprechen macht mir Spaß!

I am starting to miss going to German class. Every now and then I start thinking about something in German, or, even more often, nearly responding in it to an English question or comment. Especially when I'm tired.
In April I went to this Cajon workshop in Seattle with my dad for Music and Culture class. A Cajon is a big wooden box with a hole in the back. To play it, you sit on top and bang on the front. Well, Cajons are from Peru, and our teacher spoke only Spanish (Okay, she could say "Thank you", "four", and "stop", but that's it). When she asked me (in Spanish) if I spoke her language, I replied in German that I did not. Oops. It had been a long week.
I've downloaded 4 German audiobooks in the last 6 months, but have only listened to one of them (which, naturally, is Der König von Narnia, or The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe auf Deutsch). The rest are murder mysteries, one is even an Agatha Christie. But since my vocabulary isn't all that big yet those three go right over my head. Listening to them is mentally exhausting. Poirot is enough trouble to figure out without having to do it in German. I know how to talk about food, places, people, animals, and stuff you would buy at a store, and that's about it. Anything beyond that and I can only smile and nod. My goal for the summer is to get through those audiobooks (and maybe even understand what's going on in them). Der König von Narnia is nice because I know it in English like the back of my hand (that, and it's written for children).
That's it for now. Tschüss!

1 comment:

  1. It worked, yeah! Looks good! Keep writing here and keep writing music! I see great things ahead! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete